Travel

Accommodation

Kingsbury WMC

Water Park

Lea Marston Leisure Centre

 

 

BOOK PUBLISHED

A book celebrating mining links with the village of Piccadilly has been launched.  The book is entitled 'Piccadilly: A Village Built on Coal.'  It has been produced by Members of the Piccadilly Mining Heritage Group.  Funding was provided by the Heritage Lottery Fund.  The cost of the book is £10.99 and is available from 'Mr News' at Jubilee Court, Kingsbury or Planters Garden Centre or from  Jean Thomas on 01827 874004 or Carole Haines on 01827 873471.     (March 2011)

More information can be found on the website www.piccadilly-heritage.co.uk

 

*****************************************************************

Visit the Piccadilly Heritage website to find out more - use the link below

http://www.piccadilly-heritage.co.uk

The wall was completed - Aug 2009

Piccadilly Community Association, Mining Heritage 2006 have been awarded £40,300 from the Heritage Lottery to produce a book about the history of Kingsbury and Dexter Colliery and to research the village life, social and
family, side of Piccadilly Village.  There are 142 households in the village which were built in 1904 solely for miners and their families.  Since Kingsbury Colliery closed in 1968 the village has changed considerably and
apart from the miners houses there is little else to remind people of its industrial history of mining coal.
Coinciding with the book being written the Mining Heritage Group are in the process of building a monument wall for the Miners of Kingsbury and Dexter Collieries.  The bricks are for all the miners and workers male or female who worked anywhere at either collieries. 

The bricks will have the miners or workers names on. 

This wall will be funded from public donations and the sale of the printed bricks bearing the name of the person to whom it is dedicated.

**************************************************************************************

A grant from WCC enabled us to put this new bus shelter up in Piccadilly, to help stop the waiting passengers from getting wet and splashed by the traffic. (Nov 07)

**************************************************************************************

Piccadilly

In 1904 two terraces of miners’ houses were built end on to the colliery entrance.  The bricks were brought by train from Whateley Brickworks.  The naming of Piccadilly was decided when a Colonel Dibley asked the miners what they wanted to call the terrace of houses.  As no one came up with a suggestion he decided to name the terrace after his London residence of Piccadilly.

In 1897 ‘The Elm’ a pair of semi detached houses were built for the under-managers.  In 1911 Kingsbury Colliery leased Slateley Hall and rebuilt it as the new Manager’s house this remained until about 1947.  Slateley Hall was sold in 1968. 

The Kingsbury rifle range was constructed in the same year as Piccadilly.

A club house was completed in Piccadilly in 1908 and opened by Colonel Dibley.  It is today known as the Jewel in the Crown public house.

 

Check out the new playground equipment at Piccadilly near to the Jewel in the Crown public house.  Work has just been completed. (Feb 2006)

23/09/2014